Ideally located on the edge of the Ngorongoro crater rim, Rhino Lodge offers a perfect base from which to explore the Ngorongoro crater and its surroundings.
- Coming from the East, Rhino is the first lodge after entering the Ngorongoro Conservation Area through the Loduare Gate.
- From the lodge, it is only 20 minutes to reach the Senate descent road into the Crater, and the Lerai ascent road is less than 5 minutes’ drive away.
- There are 24 guest rooms, all with a verandah overlooking a stretch of high montane forest.
- Each room has its own shower, toilet and hand basin.
- To keep away the cold each room has a wood-burning stove, and hot water bottles can be filled if you want one.
- Hot, tasty food is available from the buffet.
- After dinner, our Maasai staff may entertain you with some traditional dancing.
- Rhino Lodge is about a 45-minute drive from the small town of Karatu and an easy 3 hours from Arusha.
- Coming from the Serengeti, it is about an hour and a half’s drive from the Naabi Hill gate.
- The nearest airstrip, serviced with scheduled flights by Coastal Aviation, is Manyara, about 45 minutes’ drive from the lodge.
- Coastal Aviation operates a daily service from Arusha with connecting flights from both Zanzibar and Dar es Salaam.
- Guests can also fly-in from other parts of the country: Selous, Ruaha, Serengeti, and Mwanza.
- Driving into the Crater
Can be done only with a 4-wheel drive vehicle
If guests have not arrived with a suitable vehicle, it is possible to hire one locally.
The vehicles are owned and operated by local residents who usually charge US$200 for a day’s hire plus the Crater Entry fees of US$300 for the vehicle.
The Lodge does not act as an agent in arranging these tours but will be happy to put guests in touch with suitable operators.
- Crater rim walk
The Ngorongoro Crater is rightly renowned for its outstanding natural beauty and abundance of wildlife. However, there is a lot more to the Ngorongoro Conservation Area than the Crater itself and many visitors leave the area without having had the opportunity to see more of what is on offer.
The surrounding highlands include seven extinct volcanoes full of outstanding beauty and spectacular scenery.
The best way to appreciate these attractions is by walking. Even a short walk of only an hour or two can be very rewarding and there are also many opportunities for longer hikes. After spending days sitting in a vehicle, some visitors to say that they would like to stretch their legs.